Friday, January 2, 2009

The Treasure Hunt Begins!

Today, I went to the Family History Library for the first time! I figured, if it was open, I would take the time I had before the Sugar Bowl and go check it out. The only thing I wanted to accomplish today was to familiarize myself with the library, so I wouldn't be so scared to go back! I had trouble finding a parking space and finally had to settle for a 2 hr meter on the street. When I walked into the building, I immediately had three missionaries by me willing to help. I told them it was my first time and they had me sign in, gave me a "First-timer!" badge, and wisked me into an orientation room where I watched an 8 min. video about how everything works. After the video, I told the sister missionary I was looking for information on my Scottish ancestors and she directed me to the 2nd level of the basement, where the British records were kept. When I arrived on the level, I had two more missionaries asking if I needed help. One British missionary had me sit down on the computer & started looking online data bases for records verifying Alexander McLachlan Sr.'s parents. Apparently, it was a difficult task because the information didn't just pop up. After about 10 min. the Elder sat at the computer next to me and really took off. I got so lost trying to follow what records and websites he was looking at. After about an hour, he had printed two 1910 US census records that showed Alex's mom Mary Johnstone living with Alex in Springfield and Alex's Dad, John Sr. living with Alex's brother, John Jr. in another house. We had some trouble verifying their immigration & naturalization records and there wasn't alot of information that showed John was really Alex's father. I was beginning to think I had the wrong information on my family group sheet. Eventually he pawned me off to a girl who was my age. The girl, I can't remember her name, looked really familiar. I ran into her once before in the temple. We both thought we looked familiar to each other, but we couldn't figure out how we knew each other. Anyway, she was a big help because she made me search myself instead of doing it all for me. We decided to start by verifying Alex Sr. birth in the Scottish registry. Apparently these records had recently been extracted by members of the church. I had to look up the microfilm number, look through the film and take it to a 19 yr old Elder to copy. By this time, I had to run to my car to fill the meter. I had enough change for one more hour. On the birth registry it mentioned John McLachlan & Mary Johnstone as the mother & father & verified their marriage date. It also mentioned a grandmother's name of Ellen Johnstone as a witness to the birth. I assumed Ellen Johnstone was Mary's mother. After I made a copy, I wanted to verify John & Mary's marriage date. This search lead me to a microfiche that listed several family history books that mentioned several McLachlan's and family histories. I realized this was going to take me longer than the half hour I had left, so I cleaned up and headed home. When I got home and started to explain my experience to my Mom, I realized that the information we had for Mary Johnstone's mother wasn't correct! We had Alice Reed listed as her Mother, not Ellen. I just found a new person! That was pretty cool! Anyway, I will need to go back and do some more research, but it was a great learning experience. Next time I will need to go on a Saturday when there is free parking, I will need to have at least 5-6 hrs of time to devote to the search, and I will need to bring more cash to make copies with. But overall, it was a great way to spend the afternoon!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Lisa!! Wow, it sounds like you are making great progress!! I'm so proud of you!!

Tory said...

That is awesome. I think family history is super intimidating.