Thursday, January 1, 2009

Gathering Info on the McLachlans

I spent most of the day on Wednesday and most of the evening on Thursday looking through the information Mom & Dad have on the McLachlan side of the family. Collin has done some of the same research that I have done and it was fun to talk with him about it on Wednesday. We have alot of information about Alexander McLachlan Sr. (my great-grandfather) & his wife, but the trail of information practially stops after that. I found some pictures of the family that my aunt Linda gathered & copied for my Mom & Dad. In the photo album there are some pictures of Alex Sr. and his wife, Grace, and Alex's father John McLachlan and his wife Mary Johnstone. I found some personal histories of Alex and Grace McLachlan, including their conversion stories and their patriartical blessings. I found a timeline of the life of Alex & Grace that somebody constructed. It has been a huge help in learning what their lives were like. John McLachlan & his family immigrated from Scotland & settled in Springfield, Ill. in 1902. I found a copy of their Naturalization records dated 1909. Alex met Grace in Springfield and got married in 1908. By 1916, they had 4 kids. In March of 1917, they had their first meeting with the Elders and were bapitzed 10 days later. Both Alex and Grace received lots of persecution from their Catholic family and friends in Springfield for being Mormons and eventually they moved to Arizona to be closer to members of the church. In 1929 they were sealed as a family in the Mesa, Arizona temple. As their children get married, they moved all over the west. Eventually Alex & Grace move to Salt Lake City to be closer to family. Alex dies in 1953 and Grace dies 1971. Both are buried in the Bountiful Cemetary. In all the years I have been to the Bountiful Cemetary, I can't remember seeing their grave sites. I will need to go again sometime this week and check it out. I have been retyping the histories I have found so I can have electronic copies. Once I have organized this information, I will need to go to the LDS Family History Library and see if I can find more information on John & Mary McLachlan.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Wow, that is so great all that you are finding! How nice that so much has been put together for you already. I hope you can find more info to continue the line!