Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A New Hobby....

On a separate note, I got off on a tangent today that has led me to find a new hobby. Most people know my surname is Scottish and it has always been my dream to go to Scotland. I would love to see the country and learn more about my ancestors. I spoke with a cousin of mine over Thanksgiving who recently returned from Scotland and he says that most people in Scotland know their family history & can tell you most of your's too! I have heard there is a McLachlan Castle and I would love to see it and do some research.

Anyway, this afternoon I was flipping through channels and saw a news story about Donald Trump's plans to build a multibillion dollar resort & golf coarse on the shores of Northeastern Scotland, and I naturally got upset. Apparently it is a done deal, because most of the locals are excited about the revenue it will bring to their town, regardless of how it changes the picturesque landscape. That got me wondering how far away this resort will be from where my ancestors are from. I haven't completely found the answer to that question yet, but it has renewed a desire to work on the McLachlan family history line. I will also start making plans to go to Scotland. I have always said I will go before I die, why not now?? This way, when I finally get to Scotland, I will have all the information ready to understand exactly where my ancestors came from. I have decided to dedicate a new section of blog posts, updating everybody on how my research and travel plans are coming. So far, I have decided to apply for a passport in Feb (when I have money for the fee), and start looking into how much it will cost & what my travel plans will be. Family: I'm hoping you will be able to come with me, cause I don't think I will go alone. Honestly, I don't know when I'll go; maybe a year, maybe two. I think the soonest I will have the money will be summer of 2010. Anyway, I started to make a binder that I will put all of the family information in. I created a cover page with the McLachlan coat of arms on it. I have posted the coat of arms I found on the Internet. I wanted to post it below this writing, but I can't figure out how to do that. I guess I'll have to ask Megan or Tory.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That sounds like a fun trip! I wonder if Brandon would like to go to Scotland? Hmmmm... We'll have to try to talk him into it so we can come along with you. :)