Monday, April 19, 2010

Running Again...

I have a deep confession to make. Two years ago I started this blog as a journal. I wanted to record my training for my first race. I admit, it was a short, simple race, but a big deal to me. I've never been the athletic type & at the time, I'd never run in a race. I recorded all my training days and posted all the pictures from race day. When it was over, I stopped blogging for a while & I stopped going to the gym. It didn't help that school had started again & I was working alot. I kept thinking I would go back, but it never happened. I've visited the gym occasionally over the last 9 months; maybe a total of 10 days since last August. But obviously it doesn't do any good unless you do it consistently. Because of this, I have gained a lot of wieght & fallen out of shape.

Maybe it's the good weather that has inspired me, or the wonderful examples that I have from my family, but I've decided to start training again. There are plenty of 5k races over the next few months & I would like to run in a few. Not to be a world-class runner, but to give myself a reason to go to the gym. I need to exercise & I need a purpose besides work. And, I know that if I don't post my progress & check in with my blog, I won't perform as well. It's easy to talk yourself out of doing something if nobody knows you were going to do it in the first place. So, thanks for listening & holding me accountable.

NEWS FLASH: Today I left work at 3:10, headed to the gym, ran/walked 2 miles & came home. It wasn't my best work out, and I've lost alot of endurance, but at least I did it.

5 comments:

Megan and Cory said...

This is good news, Lisa!! If you need any support or advice, or wanna come join me on the Legacy Parkway trail some days, let me know. Keep it up. Getting started again is always the hardest part. Eventually it'll become habit again. Love ya!

Tory said...

Woo Hoo! You can do more than you think you can!

Jennifer said...

Consider yourself supported AND accountable. :) I think it's great that you are committing to run again. Have fun and run like the wind!

Burton Gang said...

You are awsome!! Way to go!! Looks like Moab was fun!! Love ya lots!!

Brandon said...

Congratulations, Lisa! You can do whatever you set your mind out to do! Keep us posted!